Friday 1 November 2013

Steampunk and Penguin

Yes, I admit it, until today I was a Steampunk virgin - I'd never attempted this style of card-making before, and I had not really thought about giving it a go.  That was until I read Suzi's midweek motivation at Make My Monday challenge blog.  She made a gorgeous card, but it was the definitions of the style that really helped to inspire me to create my first Steampunk card....


...and I had so much fun!  The words 'whimsey' and 'romance' were really helpful' There's a lot of sponging and I used two Distress ink colours, Scattered Straw and China Blue, and a combination of stamp images, including a freebie from a magazine (the globe, clockfaces and cogs), Gorgeous Grunge, Zoo Review, and a Papermanai Urban Stamps set with images of London (forget the name, sorry).
The butterfly die cut is also a freebie, and the Victoriana tag and washi tape I bought in Ikea!. Here's a closer view


Can you see the gems on the penguin's crown?. I love the layers in this card, I think next time I should try to experiment with more colours and I am definitely going to look out for more stamps in the Steampunk style, although perhaps the secret is in combining different images in a quirky way.
Best thing is I had a ball making this!


4 comments:

  1. I think uv done a great job!its lovely!i love the penguin-he really makes it!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us at MMM with this fabulous card...love the quirky penquin.
    Suzi B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Louise. Amazingly inventive and would never have guessed it was your first go at Steampunk. Thanks for joining in with this theme.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh such a lot of details on this card - totaly amazing and fantastic - This card totaly ROCK!
    well done!!!
    xoxo SanDee1899

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them all!
Louise xx